Dec 05, 2023
Direct Funeral Services in Singapore: A Comprehensive Guide
What Are Direct Funeral Services?
Direct funerals are an economical and uncomplicated option for those seeking a low-cost funeral. In Singapore, Direct Funeral Service only refers to Direct Cremation Services due to the scarcity of burial spaces. Direct burials or cremations typically occur without a wake service and mourners present. It contains only essential materials. This makes them an increasingly popular alternative to traditional funerals. They save time and money by avoiding mess after the death of loved ones. Direct funerals are ideal for those looking for a low-cost funeral option or those who prefer a clean and simple funeral.
What are the benefits of Direct Funeral Services?
Direct cremation is an affordable and easy-to-plan option for families who have lost a loved one. It can be done online or over the phone, eliminating the burden of arranging funeral days. Direct cremation is the most affordable option as it doesn’t require expensive funeral supplies like caskets or embalming. Families can focus on their way of remembering their loved ones, such as a celebration or memorial service.
The process of direct cremation takes a few days, with preparation taking only hours. The cremation service handles the rest, including sending the ashes to the family. This allows families to grieve quickly and skip the ceremony.
Direct cremation is a greener option, as it uses flame-based cremation. Thus, avoiding harmful substances like formaldehyde and metal that take a long time to decay. It also reduces carbon emissions due to minimal transportation and can be carbon-positive if planted with ashes or kept in a biodegradable urn.
Lastly, direct cremation reduces stress levels, allowing families to focus on grieving the loss and less on the type of cremation arrangements.
Steps Involved in Direct Funeral Services
Direct funeral services require the following steps to be organised:
- Picking a funeral home Look into and select a local, respectable funeral parlour that provides direct funeral services.
- See the funeral director for advice: Discuss your alternatives, pricing, available packages, and any special requests you may have when you meet with the funeral director.
- Give the required paperwork: Get all of the necessary paperwork, including the death certificate, permits, and any insurance or prearrangement paperwork.
- Organise your cremation or burial: Make the required preparations with the funeral home after deciding whether you wish to be buried or cremated.
- Arrange a celebration of life or memorial: To pay tribute to your loved one, if you’d like, arrange a different celebration of life or memorial.
What are the necessities I should prepare for Direct Cremation Services?
The following needs to be attended to while you get ready for your loved one’s direct funeral are
- Everything your departed loved one would need for their last journey, including tops, bottoms, knickers and shoes.
- A collection of objects to be placed inside the coffin, ideally things the deceased loved, such as food items, soft toys, and literature.
- Identification papers are needed to apply for the death certificate, which is necessary to obtain authorization for cremation.
- Identification papers belonging to the deceased’s surviving relatives, such as sons, daughters, wives, brothers, etc.
- Any last request of your loved one like any unique music, any special place, any food items to put into the casket.
- Sea burial, columbarium, or inland ash scattering
- Selection of urns.
Choosing the Right Direct Funeral Service Provider
Seek the assistance of a professional:
- a funeral director from a funeral home with multiple funeral planning experiences. Select a funeral director who is well-liked by the community. Check if they have the support of organisations like the Association of Funeral Directors Singapore (AFD).
Think about your spending:
- When selecting a funeral director, it’s crucial to take your budget into account because funeral expenses can differ greatly. To avoid any surprises, make sure the funeral director provides you with a written estimate. This includes detailing the cost of their services. You should also compare quotes from several funeral directors. Make sure you are getting the best deal possible.
- Consult with close friends, relatives, or reliable advisors to find funeral directors in your area who provide high-quality services. Getting recommendations from friends and family can be a great way to find a trustworthy and knowledgeable expert. Don’t forget to read internet reviews.
Meet with the director of funerals:
- It’s crucial to have a face-to-face meeting with the funeral director to go over your wants, preferences, and any special needs you may have. You will have the chance to get to know the funeral director during this time, and you can ask any questions you may have about Taoist traditions and customs, Indian or Malay customs and practises that you may not be familiar with, or how they can connect you with flower, food or transportation providers in Singapore.
The importance of customer reviews and recommendations
- Online evaluations, particularly those on Facebook, can provide objective feedback from clients with first-hand experience and are evidence of a funeral home’s dependability and quality.
- Positive evaluations may be a sign of a business’s high calibre of customer service. Additionally, take note of any unfavourable comments made by prior clients.
- Do the service outages happen occasionally, or are they isolated instances? What was the management’s dispute resolution procedure, and did they react appropriately? Take time to carefully review these and keep them in mind as you make your decision.
- The best way to determine if they have funeral service experience in Singapore is to browse through their website’s pictures or videos.
- Additionally, they may have verified customer testimonials on their social media accounts, such as Facebook pages, Google reviews, or both. Businesses that maintain a credible brand presence actively maintain visible and active social media accounts.